- Necessary travel papers (documents)
- Valid passport: Tanzanian visa (if necessary: depends on your citizenship)
- Accommodation: 2 nights in hotels (DBL, B&B), 5 nights in mountain huts
- Meals: Full board on the mountain
- Staff: Local Mountain guides, assistants, cook, porters on the mountain
- Health and medical insurance: Vaccinations against malaria, yellow fever and cholera are musts, even though the malaria threat is the highest in the coastal areas, minimal in Moshi and practically nonexistent on Kilimanjaro.
- Weather: There are two rain seasons in East Africa. Though the dates are not fixed, roughly the first one is between late March and early
7 Days-Kilimanjaro-Marangu Route
Marangu Route-The only reason that people say it is easier is because it is the only route up Kilimanjaro where you sleep in huts as opposed to tents.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday TypeGroup Tour, Mountain Climb
Activity Level Challenging
Group Size Small Group
The Marangu route and this has led potential climbers to think that it is an easy route to the summit. The fact that it requires a minimum of 6 days to complete it does not mean that it is easier than any other route. The only reason that people say it is easier is because it is the only route up Kilimanjaro where you sleep in huts as opposed to tents.
An optional acclimatization day at Horombo Huts is highly recommended for those with no prior trekking in altitude experience under their belt. Advance booking of hut accommodation is required to avoid any inconveniences. The route starts from the park headquarters in the village of Marangu and heads straight westwards towards Kibo. The trail goes through lush rainforest, heath and moorland to alpine desert and ultimately the arctic zone at the peak and same route down.
- Professional, experienced, mountain guides
- All park fees & Rescue fees
- All meals while on the Mountain
- All park fees & Rescue fees
- Accommodation on arrival day
- Tanzania Visa: $50 per person on arrival
- Personal Expenses (e.g. laundry, telephone, beverages, etc.)
- Optional Tours (short safari after your climb etc.)
- Tips for Mountain Crew
- Accommodation on last day
Tips guidelines: You entrust your life, health, your time and money to the guides. And the guides take this responsibility for you and for the success of the whole trip. They are doing this 24 hours. 10-20 USD per day is expected as the normal amount of tips for the Guides and the staff of the program. If you liked everything about the trip, please don’t forget to thank them.
You will be picked up at the Kilimanjaro International Airport and transferred to your arranged hotel in Arusha, and meet company member who will brief you on your upcoming schedule for safari and trek and do an equipment check to make sure you have all the necessary mountain gear. Gear which is missing can be rented on the trekking day.
- Accommodation : Hotel
MARANGU GATE (1860M) TO MANDARA HUT (2700M)
After breakfast, you will be collected from your lodge in Arusha and taken to the Marangu gate. Once the necessary paper work has been completed, your trek can begin and you will soon be hiking through the dense rainforest. Alongside the impressive vegetation, you will have the chance to catch a glimpse of some primates as you head to the Mandara Hut. After a well-earned rest, your guide can take you to the Maundi Crater where you can enjoy the wonderful view of the Kenyan interior.
- Distance covered: 8.3km / 5.2mi
- Approx. time taken: 5 hours
- Accommodation : Mandara
MANDARA HUT (2700M) TO HOROMBO HUT (3700M)
The day begins with an early breakfast. Shortly after you have left Mandara Hut, you will reach the timberline and then enter the heath and moor zone. Approximately 4 – 6 hours later, the Horombo Hut will come into sight, standing at an altitude of 3700m. From the hut, you will have fantastic views overlooking Mawenzi, Kibo and the wide plain of the Masai steppe.
- Distance covered: 12.5km / 7.8mi
- Approx. time taken: 9 hours
- Accommodation : Horombo Hut
ACCLIMATIZATION TREK TO ZEBRA ROCKS (4020M) THEN BACK TO HOROMBO HUT (3700M)
Horombo Hut Today serves as an acclimatization day. This should not be underestimated and greatly improves your chance of success in reaching the summit. After a relaxing breakfast, a 4 hour trek follows to the Zebra Rocks (4020m). The distinctive black and white stripes give the rock formation its name. On your return to Horombo Hut, a warm lunch will be waiting for you. You can relax in the afternoon and regain your strength for the hike the following day.
- Distance covered: 5km / 3.1mi
- Approx. time taken: 4 hours
- Accommodation : Horombo Hut
HOROMBO HUT (3700M) TO KIBO HUT (4700M)
Today’s stage is long and tough. The well-built trail passes the “Last Water point” which is followed by the so-called “saddle”. This nearly vegetation less plateau joins the main summit Kibo with Mawenzi. Today’s destination is the Kibo Hut that is usually reached in about 5 – 6 hours. Here, you will enjoy an early evening meal followed by an early night, as the night will be short.
- Distance covered: 9.5km / 5.9mi
- Approx. time taken: 7 hours
- Accommodation : Kibo Hut
KIBO HUT (4700M) TO UHURU PEAK (5895M) & DOWN TO HOROMBO HUT (3700M)
- Distance covered: 22km / 13.7mi
- Approx. time taken: 9 – 10 hours
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Included
HOROMBO HUTS (3,690 M/12,100 FT) TO MARANGU GATE TO ARUSHA
After breakfast and refreshing; descend through the moorland to the Mandara Huts. Have lunch there then continue your triumphant recessional down through lush forest to the park gate, which you should reach around 1pm or 2:30 pm. Kindly tip your guides and porters as you will be leaving them here. A vehicle will take you back to your hotel in Arusha.
- Horombo Huts (3,690 m/12,100 ft) to Marangu Gate (1,830 m/6,000 ft) to Moshi (890 m/2,920 ft) 18 km, 5-7 hours
Accommodation : Hotel
Depending on your flight time you will transfer to the airport
Gold Crest Hotel
Stay at our boutique hotel in Arusha and immerse yourself in an unforgettable experience set between the urban pleasures of the city and the allure of nature. A 5-minute drive from Gold Crest Hotel All Suites Hotel and Conference Centre’s location at Old Moshi Road will bring you to the city center of Arusha. Here, you can find number of banks and hospitals, and a Masai or craft market. Also a few minutes away from the hotel are some of Africa’s most famous landscapes and natural parks: Caught between a sprawling multicultural city and Africa’s magnificent landscapes,
Feel free to call for room service or drop by our business center and currency exchange any time of the day. You can also utilize the hotel’s swimming pool, gym, and free wireless Internet access, as well as the amenities for dry cleaning and laundry. Travel and tour arrangements will be taken care of as you wish. For your gustatory cravings, the restaurant at Gold Crest Hotel All Suites Hotel and Conference Center offers a menu of halal dishes.
Mandara Hut: is a village of A-framed huts in a forest clearing on the Marangu Route. Each hut features 6-8 sleeping bunks with solar generated lighting, with a camp capacity of up to 60 climbers. Water is piped into the camp from springs above and there are flush toilets behind the main hut.
Horombo Hut: is a village of huts perched on a small plateau, with buildings similar to Mandara, but with a total capacity of 120 climbers! Horombo is normally bustling with hikers, guides and porters, with an atmosphere of adventure and excitement. You will meet both ascending and descending hikers here. This extra day and night at Horombo is for additional acclimatisation. A hike towards the Mawenzi hut, passing the Zebra Rocks on the way (about 3 hours up and 1,5 hours down), is strongly recommended. This hike will further assist with the process of acclimatisation. Remember to drink enough water and move slowly! All meals for the day are provided at the hut. Retire to bed early and get a last good night’s rest.
Kibo Hut: is a 5 hour hike across the saddle between mawenzi and Kibo and is situated at the bottom of the Kibo crater wall at an elevation of (4,750m). From here you will attempt the summit to the Uhuru Peak.
- Sun Hat, ideally with a neck cover
- Warm Beanie or Fleece Headband
- Buff or Neck Gaiter
Hands and Walking
- Lightweight Inner Gloves
- Warm Outer Gloves / Mitts
- Adjustable Trekking Poles
- 4-5 Pairs of Underwear
- Top and Bottom Base Layer
- 3-4 Short Sleeve and 1-2 Long Sleeve Trekking Shirts
- 1-2 Pairs of Hiking Trousers
- 1 Polartec Fleece Jacket
- 1 Insulated Winter Jacket
- Mid-weight Hiking Boots
- Camp Trainers / Trekking Sandals
- 4-5 Pairs of Trekking Socks
- 1 Pair of Warm / Thick Trekking Socks