Kilimanjaro Climb-Marangu Route
The Marangu route and this has led potential climbers to think that it is an easy route to the summit. The fact that it requires a minimum of 6 days to complete it does not mean that it is easier than any other route. The only reason that people say it is easier is because it is the only route up Kilimanjaro where you sleep in huts as opposed to tents.
An optional acclimatization day at Horombo Huts is highly recommended for those with no prior trekking in altitude experience under their belt. Advance booking of hut accommodation is required to avoid any inconveniences. The route starts from the park headquarters in the village of Marangu and heads straight westwards towards Kibo. The trail goes through lush rainforest, heath and moorland to alpine desert and ultimately the arctic zone at the peak and same route down.
- Necessary travel papers (documents)
- Valid passport: Tanzanian visa (if necessary: depends on your citizenship)
- Accommodation: 2 nights in hotels (DBL, B&B), 5 nights in mountain huts
- Meals: Full board on the mountain
- Staff: Local Mountain guides, assistants, cook, porters on the mountain
- Health and medical insurance: Vaccinations against malaria, yellow fever and cholera are musts, even though the malaria threat is the highest in the coastal areas, minimal in Moshi and practically nonexistent on Kilimanjaro.
- Weather: There are two rain seasons in East Africa. Though the dates are not fixed, roughly the first one is between late March and early